Wednesday, January 04, 2006

WEDNESDAY JANUARY 04 2006 1:22 AMI just read a most enjoyable book "The Finer Points of Sausage Dogs" by Alexander McCall Smith ... ****1/2 ... I don't always finish the books I finish but this one was most entertaining.

It also has the nice aspect of only being 128 pages long ) ... I really enjoyed the eccentricity of the main character and the author winking at himself.

I also loved how I got the book .. at the UU Church of the Lehigh Valley in Bethlehem, PA they have a give a book/ take a book bookcase .. Being UUs, they often give more books (as most unitarians have 100s- if not thousands of book) then they take .. I found some good ones like this and Being There.

Got my first shipment of Blockbuster DVDs (i like the 2 free rentals in the store (games or videos) but don't like no NC-17 movies or the recommender as much as NetFlix) .. .anyway it was $1 for 6 weeks so hey .. Got March of the Penguins, The Fog of War and Control Room...

I hope 2006 is treating you all well....

ecq

1/5/6

the book is a very silly one involving someone who came up with the classic "Portugeuse Irregular Verbs" and thinks this is an unbelivably important book .. he is a german and very much thinks he is smarter then everyone else ...

Right now looking at "The Fog of War" from Blockbuster online ... Wasn't able to watch it on my main TV .. luckily I have another DVD player .. unforuntely with Blockbuster Online I have to send the DVD back anyway and wait for a new one before I get another movie ... I believe NetFlix (which is much superior) sends you a another movie immediately ...

Also rented Control Room yesterday **** .. This is an absolutely fascinating movie about Al Jazerra's coverage of Iraq II ... I couldn't believe they closed the CentCom media center after the "mission accomplished" in early 2003 ...

Its been almost 2 years later and the Iraq war still isn't over ....


Hard to tell from the movie how one sided the coverage was, they definitely showed more Iraqi wounded and killed, but it seemed relatively even. Also fascinating to see parrells made with the Isreali-Palestian Conflict


...

A most interesting movie .. and I quite liked the young Lt. at CentCom ... I liked that he was learning through the experience ... Highly Recommended...

Watched "The Fog of War" and still watching the deleted scenes (already almost 30 minutes of them) .. Absolutely fascinating look at McNamara and the politics on the LBJ-Kennedy era .. If you are interested in Cold War Politics at all you must see this ... ****1/4 ....

Just fascinating stuff ...

I also saw the very cute "The March of the Penguins." ... Antartica looked stunningly beautiful and I am very happy I am not an Emperor Penguin **** .. This will make my top 10 list I think ....

Ok so rented "Primer" next which, I have seen but my wife hasn't **** ...

I really like the nesting Time Travel and alternate reality in this ... I know some find it confusing I found it utterly fascinating...


ecq

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home